Taking on an old property can be a very rewarding project, especially if you are someone who wants a home full of character and charm.  But, are you prepared for the different problems that very often arise when fixing up an old home?  Depending on its age, an old home may be full of building materials which have, in more recent years, been found to be hazardous.  If the home contains these, they would most likely need to be removed which can prove to be very expensive.  Here’s a few of those materials:

  • Asbestos insulation was often used in homes constructed during the 1930s and 50s.  If your home is this old and has had the same owner for many years, it may well still contain asbestos and must be taken care of by an expert in asbestos removal.
  • Lead paint, especially as it deteriorates and chips or turns to dust, is very dangerous, particularly for infants.  Homes older than 40 years may still contain lead paint. 
  • Radon is a gas that is undetectable by sight or smell but can be dangerous if levels are too high.  A test can be carried out to determine radon levels in the home.
  • During the 1960s and 70s, aluminum wiring was frequently used instead of copper wiring.  If your home has this type of wiring, it should be replaced as it was found to be defective with time. 

 
A home inspector will be able to tell you if any of these building materials still exist in your home.  If this is the case, make sure that you hire a licensed professional to take care of them.

error: Content is protected !!